Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Importance of Similarity

The Importance of Similarity

By Devin Mullin

I should probably provide some form of advisory.
I advise you should fear the possible rise of me.
If you’re cool with the world, leave me alone.
Most likely I’ll agree with nothing you’ve ever known.
Most people like me are quickly dismissed.
The world prefers to stay in ignorant bliss.
So if that sounds like you, don’t get near.
What I have to say, you don’t want to hear.

Most would rather not know that freaks are people too.
They could have a lot to offer, but most have no clue.
Whether it be pierced up kids screaming about punk rock,
disaffected youth keeping drugs in stock,
people who’ve had a hard time staying in line,
or anyone who’s ever had to do some time.
These people are deemed unfit to consider,
most live in a small world, why make it bigger.

They’re already the haves in this word of have-nots,
there’s no need to have to deal with new thoughts.
It’s believed that people should stay in their place,
it’s blatant discrimination, but not based on race.
They only want to deal with their own kind,
not those with the same skin, but with the same mind.
The unwashed masses have no place being smart.
They never stopped sympathizing, because they didn’t start.

Being similar is so vital, I don’t know why.
Maybe not for you, and certainly not I,
but for many it’s necessary to share certain traits,
if they’re going to care at all about your fate.
It’s wrong that they revile a different identity,
it just seems like they miss out on great people to me.
Despite your belief’s I know one thing that’s truth,
our entire society serves as proof.
A question more important then who, what, or when,
is are you us or are you them.

No comments: